Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Fishing Reports

Sorry it took so long to respond. On the way to get the boat, BP called and put me to work. I just got off a 10 day stretch and will be off for five to ten days, then I should be put back to work for and ten days. I don’t know for sure as every day is a new day and they are making it ups as they go. At any rate as long as there is hope for me assisting in the cleanup / prevention work I will stay in Venice and try to help. The good news is the BP is doing a VERY GOOD job of trying to fix the mess. They have hired just about every boat in the area. Charter boats, air boats, shrimp boats and flat boats, they have them all. The cleanup / prevention effort is VERY WELL organized and a tremendous amount of work is being done to try to minimize the effect of oil coming ashore. Booms are in place, booms that have washed up into the march during previous storms are being recovered and being redeployed into the areas in need, isolated pockets of oil that is washing up is being immediately cleaned up. Shrimpers acting as skimming vessels are doing their best to clean up pockets of oil before it ever hits the marsh. All in all I think BP and all of the workers should get a gold star. The day before I came home my team recovered seven shrimp boats full of boom and if I had to bet I would bet that it has already been redeployed. Too bad the media wasn’t around to video the effort that went into recovering all that boom. Our boat, four airboats, three flat boats full of workers that hit the beach and dug up the boom, and seven shrimp boats to haul it back to the dock where it was decontaminated, repaired and redeployed. More good news is that the river is high and every pass in the Delta is blowing water out into the gulf, thus pushing the oil away from us. The bad news is that the river is dropping every day. In could of weeks it will get low enough that we will begin to get tides again. The Delta will breathe in and out every day and bring with it the oil. As long as I am allowed to help I will stay and do my part.

Please continue to pray for us.

Capt. Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment